2. "Unfortunately, most of what the up-and-coming generation knows is pertinent to technology, whereas the older generations (older than mine) were well versed in a plethora of knowledge. I'm jealous."
I'm very divided about this argument; on one side I want to agree with this but on the other I want to disagree. For many years I've believed that the older generation has been, or is, more knowledgeable than the younger generation, but thinking into this a bit more I slightly disagree. Our education system is changing, more history and facts are being added into our textbooks, we are spending more time dedicating ourselves to school, the curriculum is more difficult, and I quite believe the younger generation is more knowledgeable than the older one now. I also believe that technology is a huge benefactor to this "plethora of knowledge" that we, the younger generation, have now. We can learn new things every day from social media sites, education sites, and others with just a click of the finger, and I can personally say that it's true because I learn so many new things everyday through the internet (though you must sometimes dig to see if they're factual or not).
-Reply-Sam Boatright
I agree with you. Yes as the world ages we are discovering more and more about it and about the people on it. Because of this the accuracy of the knowledge has increased. Because of technology our access to the knowledge has increased as well, though a problem with this increase in ease of access to the technology is that because of this people are beginning to forget the reason why we learn things in the first place. If the knowledge is right at our fingertips why bother to take the time to learn it at all? The reason is control. When you rely on whats put on the internet for your information your mind is at the mercy of who ever is putting the information there to begin with. If misinformation is put up you will not know the difference until it is too late. World, take control of your mind and educate yourself.
I believe that the current generation of people younger than 30 are more factually knowledgeable than those older than them. I believe that they know how to conduct quality searches on knowledge databases for information. I would agree that the younger generation possess more information, not knowledge, than the previous generations.
ReplyDeleteI would not however, extend this argument to say that the younger generation is smarter than those older than 30. As I already stated, the younger generation knows a great deal of knowledge -- and how to find the facts they don't know. But where the older generations still have (and will always have) the edge is wisdom. For example, I can present the same exact information to a 20 year-old, and to a 50 year-old. With everything else being equal, the 50 year-old has had the life experiences to know how to apply that information; they are BETTER ABLE to apply the information they do have. Furthermore, what we can not forget is that even though today's youth may be presented with more information than previous generations, it was the decision of those previous generations to administer that information to the youth. Without this decision, today's youth would have followed the same convention that previous generations followed.